Sweet roasted pumpkin, filled with nutty, fragrant rice and sharp barberries. Serve it as a main course with a green salad.
Leon Fast Vegan
by Rebecca Seal, Chantal Symons & John Vincent
1. Toast the pistachios in a hot, dry saucepan for 2–3 minutes, turning frequently, until toasty and fragrant. Set aside.
2. Slice the top off the pumpkin or squash, reserving the lid, and scoop out the seeds using a large spoon. If the cavity inside is shallow, you will need to scoop out some of the flesh (chop it and store for later).
3. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
4. Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 10 minutes, until slightly caramelized. If you have scooped out some pumpkin flesh, add to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the garlic, coriander seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, saffron, and chili and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the barberries and raisins, then the rice and toasted pistachios. Stir to coat and toast the rice for 2–3 minutes. Add the broth, orange peel, and rosewater and bring to a boil. Cook for 6 minutes, then immediately remove from the heat.
5. Spoon the rice mixture into the pumpkin, add the pumpkin lid, then wrap the stuffed pumpkin in a strip of wet parchment paper and then aluminum foil to make a package. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the pumpkin is cooked and a sharp knife inserted into the flesh meets no resistance.
6. Serve cut into wedges, with a drizzle of pomegranate molasses, if you want, and some salad.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new, and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. You have the power to keep us cooking, sharing these stories, and helping you in the kitchen.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table.
Recipe excerpted from Leon Fast Vegan by Rebecca Seal, Chantal Symons & John Vincent. Copyright 2019 Hachette Book Group.