1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
5 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled, plus additional for greasing muffin cups
1/2 pound cracklin's or cooked bacon, diced
1. Grease 16 muffin cups very generously with one tablespoon of butter and put the muffin tin in an oven. Turn the oven up to 400 degrees, and allow the grease to melt in the cups as you prepare the batter and the oven heats.
2. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. Mix eggs and milk in a separate bowl.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the milk-egg mixture and blend using as few strokes as possible - 10 to 15, max. Stir in melted butter and cracklin's, mixing only until barely blended.
5. Ladle the batter into the hot muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
6. Turn muffins onto a rack to cool. Serve warm.
Adapted from Blue Plate Specials and Blue Ribbon Chefs by Jane and Michael Stern (Lebhar-Friedman Books 2001). Copyright 2001 by Jane and Michael Stern.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.