We started with the garnish, frying sliced shallots until they were crisp and golden. Then we tossed diced tofu with sriracha and honey and left it to marinate while we quickly pickled some red cabbage and roasted some broccolini and carrots on the same baking sheet. Bulgur, the base of our grain bowl, was supereasy to make: We just poured it into plenty of boiling salted water and cooked it like pasta. We combined a portion of the pickling liquid with the shallot-infused oil, some mayonnaise, and a bit more sriracha to make a zippy dressing. We stirred some into the drained bulgur to ensure that every bite was flavorful. Topped with pickles, roasted vegetables, and marinated tofu; drizzled with extra dressing; and sprinkled with crispy shallots, this grain bowl makes a satisfying hot dinner or great packed lunch.
5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
3 shallots, sliced into thin rounds
1 3/4 teaspoons plus pinch table salt, divided, plus salt for cooking bulgur
3 tablespoons sriracha, divided
2 tablespoons honey, divided
14 ounces ﬁrm tofu, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced on bias 1/2 inch thick
1 pound broccolini, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/4 cups medium-grind bulgur
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Stop cooking the shallots once they turn light golden brown; they will continue to darken and crisp as they cool. Arranging the broccolini in a pile instead of spreading it out on the baking sheet creates textural contrast and prevents the broccolini from drying out.
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Heat 1/4 cup oil and shallots in large saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly once shallots start to sizzle. Cook until shallots are deep golden, 6 to 10 minutes. Drain shallots in ne-mesh strainer set over medium bowl; reserve oil. Transfer shallots to paper towel–lined plate and sprinkle with pinch salt. (Do not wash saucepan or strainer.)
2. Whisk together 2 tablespoons sriracha, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in second medium bowl. Add tofu and gently toss until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate. Combine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1 tablespoon honey in third medium bowl. Microwave until simmering, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cabbage and stir until coated. Set aside, stirring occasionally.
3. Toss carrots with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and ¼ teaspoon salt and spread on half of rimmed baking sheet. Toss broccolini with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pile on other half of sheet. Roast until carrots are tender and broccolini is crisp in spots, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring vegetables halfway through roasting.
4. While vegetables are roasting, add 6 cups water to now-empty saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Add bulgur and 1 teaspoon salt to boiling water. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain bulgur in fine-mesh strainer and return it to saucepan. Cover and set aside.
5. Measure out 2 tablespoons cabbage liquid and add to reserved shallot oil. Whisk in mayonnaise and remaining 1 tablespoon sriracha. Mix 3 tablespoons dressing into bulgur.
6. Spoon bulgur into 4 wide bowls. Arrange tofu, carrots, and broccolini in piles that cover bulgur. Using fork, lift cabbage out of liquid and divide evenly among bowls. Drizzle tofu and vegetables with remaining dressing. Sprinkle with shallots and serve.
Copyright 2019 America's Test Kitchen
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.