Yield: Serves 4 as a main dish
Time: 10 minutes prep time; 10 minute stove time
Every single year for as long as I have known Sally, she has planted zucchini. She is typically a very sensible person, but somehow she is unable to remember in May exactly how many zucchini will appear in July.
This pasta is her retaliation. It's cooked in one pot, with mostly raw ingredients, and is perfect on a hot summer night or served at room temperature for a "pasta salad" that even the Italians would approve of.
Note: The pasta can be served hot or at room temperature
5 qt. salted water in a 6-quart pot
1 lb. small zucchini (about 4 or 5)
1 lb. imported penne
4 Tbsp. good-tasting extra-virgin olive oil
¼ tsp. red-pepper flakes, plus more to taste
4 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved, or 2 cups other fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 to 1½ cup (6 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled
⅓ tight-packed cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
1. Bring the salted water to a boil.
2. Trim off the ends of the zucchini. Cut the squash into sticks about the size of the penne.
3. Drop the pasta into the boiling water. In the last 3 minutes of boiling (check pasta package for timing), drop the zucchini into the pot. Boil, stirring often, until the penne are tender but still have a little bite. Scoop out 1 cup of the pasta water and reserve it. Immediately drain the pasta and zucchini in a colander.
4. Return the pasta pot to the heat, turning it down to low. Film the bottom of the pot with the olive oil. Add the red-pepper flakes and garlic, and gently sauté just until the garlic is fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
5. Remove the pot from the heat, and add the drained pasta and zucchini, the tomatoes, feta, basil, and as much of the reserved pasta water as necessary to lightly coat the pasta. Toss gently, taste for seasoning, and serve.
From The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper by Lynne Rossetto Kasper and Sally Swift, Clarkson Potter, 2008.
When you shop using our links, we earn a small commission. It’s a great way to support public media at no extra cost to you!
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.