PREP TIME: 25 minutes | COOK TIME: 10 minutes | MAKES 6 SERVINGS
I don’t do many trends or fads, but this one is worth it. I love zoodles—not because they are healthy but because they taste so good! This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy them, smothered in cheese. These are great on their own but also served with a nice grilled steak.
2 or 3 medium zucchini (1,782 g)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ cups (150 g) finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream
1. Rinse the zucchini well in cool or lukewarm water and trim off both ends to create a flat surface. Use a spiralizer to spiralize the zucchini (see Note). Trim the zoodles to 6 to 8 inches, or about the length of a spaghetti noodle.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the zoodles. Stir until cooked through, about 6 minutes. Place in a strainer to drain any excess liquid. Set aside.
3. Mix together the Parmesan, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. In the same skillet you cooked the zoodles in, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the heavy cream, stir in the cheese mixture, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to melt the cheese. Add the zoodles and toss them in the sauce until coated and heated through.
5. Plate and serve immediately.
NOTE: Here are a few ways to make zoodles:
• Julienne peeler
• Spiralizer attachment to a stand mixer
• Handheld spiralizer
Or you can purchase them in the produce department of your grocery store.
From Homestead Recipes: Midwestern Inspirations, Family Favorites, and Pearls of Wisdom from a Sassy Home Cook by Amanda Rettke. Copyright © 2022 by Amanda Rettke. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
When you shop using our links, we earn a small commission. It’s a great way to support public media at no extra cost to you!
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.